Skip to main content

Featured

Red Sparrow (2018) Review

Red Sparrow is a 2018 spy-thriller film directed by Francis Lawrence who worked with Jennifer Lawrence (the star here) on a couple of the Hunger Games movies, but this is a very different beast. Jennifer Lawrence plays Dominika Egorova (in, it has to be said, a not entirely convincing Russian accent), and Joel Edgerton, Matthias Schoenarts and Charlotte Rampling star as the film's secondary characters. This one is a pretty big departure from what Lawrence has done in the past, although it has to be said that she's making some pretty bold career choices. I'm not the first one to say that, and for a good reason: it's true. After last year's Mother! it appeared as if she was trying purposefully trying to appear in more "mature" films, and believe me, it doesn't get much more mature than Red Sparrow. The film plays out like one of those schlocky exploitation from the seventies, in that there's sexual violence, sex, violence, torture, and all manner o

Oscars 2018: Who Will Win?

The Oscars are a long way off yet (the winners are set to be announced on March 4th, 2018), but it is the time of year that people start thinking about these things. Most of the big releases are already out, and unless there's a surprise masterpiece in December, I don't think many films released between now and the end of the year have a chance of winning. But what will win? Here are my predictions.





Best Picture
Nominee Predictions:

Baby Driver
A Ghost Story
Dunkirk
Get Out
It Comes At Night
The Florida Project
Call Me By Your Name

It's a tough one this year. Of all of those picks, I'm the most sceptical that Baby Driver will win. If it wasn't for the allegations against Kevin Spacey, I would've said the film has a good chance, but I can't see the Oscars wanting to involve themselves with someone like that, even if he's not the director. For this category, my money is on either The Florida Project or Get Out.

Best Animated Film:
The Lego Batman Movie
Your Name
A Silent Voice
Loving Vincent
Coco

2017 has been a brilliant year for animated films, but I think this year there's only real competition between two films - Your Name and Coco. It's true that the Oscars really love Disney-Pixar, and I think Coco will win, although I also think Your Name should be the winner. We'll see what happens.

Best Foreign Film:
Raw
Your Name
Okja

The foreign film category is pretty hard to predict this year. I want Raw to win, but I think Your Name will, if it doesn't win the best animated feature award. Other than the three I've listed here, I can't really figure out which films could win. Again, we'll see.

Best Director:
Edgar Wright - Baby Driver
Christopher Nolan - Dunkirk
Denis Villeneuve - Blade Runner 2049
Sofia Coppola - The Beguiled
Sean Baker - The Florida Project

My money would be on Denis Villeneuve for this one. He's been considered a good director, but for the past couple of years he's been a bit of a darling for the Oscars. I think Blade Runner 2049 might be the film that finally bags him the best director award. There's a lot to love about the film, but it's so refreshing to see someone who really understood the original Blade Runner make a sequel that does it justice.

Best Actress:
Kristen Stewart - Personal Shopper
Kirsten Dunst - The Beguilded
Tilda Swinton - Okja
Danielle McDonalds - Patti Cake$

It's hard to say who would win this one, too. The Oscars have a lot of love for films like Patti Cake$, so if I was going to guess, I'd say that, but I think Tilda Swinton has a good chance of getting one for her work in Okja, too.

Best Actor:
James McAvoy - Split
Joel Edgerton - It Comes At Night
Sam Claflin - My Cousin Rachel
Kumail Nanjiani - The Big Sick
Andrew Garfield - Breathe

If any of these are going to win, I think it'll be Andrew Garfield in Breathe - I don't think he should win (if it was up to me, It'd be going to Joel Edgerton), but he most likely will. Films like Breathe are practically engineered to win awards, and most of the time they do.

Well, I figure those are the main categories (ie the ones people are actually bothered about.) What do you think? Are my predictions accurate? Who do you want to win? Let me know.


Comments

Popular Posts

Real Time Web Analytics Real Time Web Analytics